Officials: Suspicious package near Caesars not a threat

Police reopen sidewalk after investigating parcel near Las Vegas Boulevard


Justin M. Bowen

Metro Police investigate a suspicious package Saturday evening near Caesars Palace. Serendipity 3 is shown in the background.

Published Sat, Jul 4, 2009 (6:28 p.m.)

Updated Sat, Jul 4, 2009 (7:41 p.m.)

Police are reopening a sidewalk in the heart of the Las Vegas Strip after investigating a suspicious package outside Caesars Palace.

The sidewalk along Las Vegas Boulevard was closed at about 6 p.m. in front of Caesars Palace, from Caesars Palace Drive to Flamingo Road. Nearby pedestrian bridges also were closed as walkers were redirected to other locations.

The sidewalks were closed for more than an hour during the investigation.

Metro Police spokesman Officer Bill Cassell said an unattended "parcel" was found near a statue outside Caesars Palace in an unusual place. He said the package was found adjacent to Las Vegas Boulevard but wouldn't go into further detail about its location.

Debbie Munch, Harrah's vice president of public relations for Las Vegas, said the parcel wasn't a threat and hotel guests weren't evacuated. She said fireworks that were planned at Caesars Palace would go on as scheduled.

Las Vegas Boulevard wasn't closed to vehicles as traffic continued moving Saturday evening.

In addition to Metro Police, the Las Vegas and Clark County fire departments also responded to the scene.

Back to top


Join the Discussion:

Check this out for a full explanation of our conversion to the LiveFyre commenting system and instructions on how to sign up for an account.

Full comments policy

Discussion: 1 comment so far…