Recall effort against state Sen. Farley fails

Thu, Nov 9, 2017 (11:38 a.m.)

State Sen. Patricia Farley, I-Las Vegas

State Sen. Patricia Farley, I-Las Vegas

One of three recall efforts targeting Nevada state senators is no longer moving forward after failing to turn in the required number of signatures.

A recall election will not be held for Sen. Patricia Farley, I-Las Vegas, a former Republican who caucused with Democrats in the Legislature this year. Sen. Joyce Woodhouse, D-Henderson, could face a recall election before the end of the year, while signatures to recall Sen. Nicole Cannizzaro, D-Las Vegas, are due next week.

The Farley recall committee turned in a raw count of more than 2,000 signatures out of the more than 7,000 that were required to force an election, according to the Nevada secretary of state’s office.

The recalls are being challenged in court, with one motion filed so far seeking to pause the process by the end of the month.

Farley has already said she plans not to run again because of family reasons. Turnout in off-year elections tends to be lower and could give an advantage to a Republican candidate, opponents of the recall effort say.

“This manipulation of the recall process has been an insult to voters,” Farley said in a statement released by Senate Democrats. “It has also been a complete waste of Clark County’s time and of taxpayer resources.”

Back to top

Share