Man hospitalized after officer-involved shooting had shot himself, police say



A screen shot of an officer-involved shooting.

Thu, Feb 8, 2018 (7:30 p.m.)

Six seconds after a man Metro Police say pulled out a revolver from a bathrobe and pointed at them — prompting an officer to fire at him — the suspect turned the gun to his head and pulled the trigger, according to officials.

Alan Keith Baker, 42, on Thursday afternoon remained on life support at University Medical Center and was not expected to survive, Clark County Assistant Sheriff Charles Hank said.

Officer Marcus Martin, 58, shot twice at Baker but it wasn't clear if the rounds hit him, Hank said.

Police responded at 2:02 p.m. Tuesday regarding a suicidal man at a house in the 3300 block of Lingo Street, near Cheyenne Avenue and Fort Apache Road, Hank said.

The person reporting the incident told police that the man was possibly inebriated and armed with a gun and knives, which prompted a crisis intervention response, Hank said. They were also told Baker was “known to fight with police.”

Eight minutes after the 911 call, Martin arrived, and a Metro sergeant followed about five minutes later, Hank said.

Two minutes later, Baker lay inside the house with a fatal, self-inflicted gunshot wound, Hank said.

Martin and his sergeant’s body-worn cameras captured their outdoor interaction with residents of the house, their brief interaction with Baker, and the subsequent shootings.

“I don’t know how much he’s been drinking today,” a woman is heard saying. “Who’s this? Who’s this?,” Officer Martin says about a man who’d come out of the house.

“Hey Alan … please take your hand out of your pocket for me … drop it … please drop the gun,” Martin says before opening fire.

Baker did not shoot his gun outside, police said. His criminal history dates back to 2010 when he was charged in California with assault on a person and battery with serious bodily harm, Hank said. Locally, he had outstanding traffic-related warrants.

Per Metro Police, Martin, who’s been with the agency 22 years, was placed on paid administrative leave while the investigation continues, police said.

Back to top