Reno will appeal ruling that city was negligent in flood

Tue, Aug 13, 2019 (10:02 a.m.)

RENO — The city of Reno is allowing new construction to continue north of town while its lawyers appeal a jury verdict that found the city liable for flood damage to dozens of Lemmon Valley homes in 2017.

The city attorney is preparing an appeal to the Nevada Supreme court after the Reno City Council voted last week to try to overturn June's ruling in favor of more than 50 plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit accusing the city of negligence in the flood-prone area.

The Reno Gazette Journal reports the council rejected a proposed moratorium on new construction in the area pending the outcome of the appeal.

The city says it has been denied due process.

City Attorney Karl Hall says only a few of the plaintiffs were required to prove their Lemmon Valley homes were actually damaged.

Back to top

Share