Gov. Steve Sisolak will sign a directive extending the second phase of the state’s reopening into early July, after last week calling discussion of a third phase “tabled.”
Sisolak is signing the directive because of rising trends in coronavirus infections and to gauge the impact of a new mandate that everyone wear a face mask in public, according to a news release.
Sisolak ordered nonessential businesses statewide closed in mid-March to curb the spread of the virus and has allowed a measured reopening starting May 9.
If trends do not improve or get worse, Sisolak will not hesitate to take protective steps, including reviving previous restrictions, the release said.
“Flexibility is one of the core principles in our (reopening plan), precisely to account for the situation we are in now,” Sisolak said in a statement. “As I’ve said repeatedly, the virus – and our personal actions to help mitigate its spread – drives the timeline.”
The directive will also establish a few other rules.
It provides that Department of Motor Vehicles documents that expired between March 12 and July 15 will remain valid through Sept. 13 and allows some collections actions to resume in courts.
Businesses that have not paid license renewal fees since the beginning of the pandemic will have a grace period to pay though Sept. 30.
Nevada has recently seen an increase in daily coronavirus cases , with 734 cases on Sunday and 821 on Saturday.
Sisolak most recently instituted a statewide order mandating the use of face masks in public. He said face coverings must become a “routine part of our daily lives.”
Sisolak said there were no current plans to implement travel quarantine restrictions.
“Nevada is a state that is based on tourism,” he said. “We’re not going to get to that point because I’m confident that everyone is going to follow the directive and wear the masks.”