Governor bans gatherings of 10 or more people in Nevada

Image

Facebook Live Screenshot

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak announces that Nevadans will not be able to gather in groups of ten or more in public or private spaces during a Facebook live press conference Tuesday, March 24, 2020. Law enforcement will be able to enforce penalties on people who disregard the order.

Published Tue, Mar 24, 2020 (5:45 p.m.)

Updated Tue, Mar 24, 2020 (6:20 p.m.)

In the latest step taken by the state to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Gov. Steve Sisolak announced that Nevadans will not be able to gather in groups of 10 or more in indoor or outdoor public spaces.

The order will not apply to people’s households or to the state’s homeless population, he said. Law enforcement will be able to enforce penalties on people who disregard the order.

“The entity we’re fighting cannot be seen, we can’t hear it coming, there are no warning alarms or sirens when it’s close,” he said. “So it’s critical that as a state we remain on high alert with our defenses up to do everything we can to hold the enemy off and eventually push it back.”

Sisolak directed local governments to limit the public use of recreational equipment in places such as playgrounds or basketball courts. The order does not stop families from going on walks together, he said. 

“You may enjoy a daily walk in the park with others in your household, but please maintain a safe distance from those who are also enjoying the public spaces, and do not touch any of the equipment where the virus may be lurking,” Sisolak said.

The action is the latest from Sisolak’s office, which previously ordered the shutdown of all nonessential businesses for 30 days. This order has left the iconic Las Vegas Strip empty, moved restaurants to pickup or delivery only, and closed many recreational businesses like movie theaters and bars.

Sisolak has also shut down all schools in the state through at least April 6.

Earlier today, the Southern Nevada Health District announced two people with coronavirus disease have died in Clark County, bringing the death total to six. Statewide, 278 are infected, with many more showing symptoms but unable to be tested because of a national testing-kit shortage.

“I know this is all moving very fast, but I assure you, as I make decisions I will continue to remain focused on one singular question: Will this action prevent more Nevadans from dying from this virus? That’s the goal,” Sisolak said. “By uniting together and fighting back against our invisible enemy, the more Nevadans we’ll protect and the sooner we’ll be able to open for business and get back to work."

Back to top

Share