Nevada virus response director tests positive for COVID-19

Image

David Calvert / Nevada Independent via AP

In this Aug. 3, 2020, photo, COVID-19 Response Director Caleb Cage listens during a press conference with Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak at the state Capitol in Carson City. Nevada’s COVID-19 response director has said that he had tested positive for the virus last week after developing flu-like symptoms during the prior weekend.

Published Mon, Oct 12, 2020 (1:01 p.m.)

Updated Mon, Oct 12, 2020 (4:49 p.m.)

Caleb Cage, Nevada’s COVID-19 response director, said today that he tested positive for the virus.

Cage confirmed he was the staffer in the governor’s Carson City office who tested positive for the virus last week after developing flu-like symptoms during the prior weekend.

“I share my story with all of you now in hopes to remind Nevadans that the mitigation measures can work. The faster we can identify and contain cases, the more we can minimize spread to our friends, family, coworkers and loved ones,” Cage told reporters.

Gov. Steve Sisolak has been in Southern Nevada since Sept. 17 and has not had any recent in-person contact with Cage, his office said.

The governor, nonetheless, was tested last week out of an abundance of caution, according to a news release.

Sisolak’s test returned negative.

Cage isn't sure where he contracted the virus, but on an earlier press call, said his work schedule had precluded him from visiting businesses the state has gradually allowed to reopen. Cage said he and his family adhere to guidelines recommending social distancing and frequent hand-washing.

Cage has not been in the Carson City office since Oct. 2, and any staffers in the office who may have come into contact with him have been quarantining and must test negative before returning to the office.

Nevada officials reported 569 new confirmed coronavirus cases and three new deaths on Monday. The number of new cases and the state's positivity rate remain higher than in early September — before Sisolak announced plans to relax restrictions on gatherings and before the state task force loosened thresholds for “high risk” counties.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Back to top

Share